Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ethan basketball experiences here in Germany

Hi this is Ethan! Sorry I haven't posted for so long. This post is going to be about my basketball experiences here in Germany. So here in Germany basketball is not a very popular sport so me and my family were surprised when we heard that my school had a basketball program called sportverein. For this basketball program (sportverein) you have to try out for the basketball team. The tryouts were in August of 2009, a little after school started. Of course I made the team even though this basketball program is for 5th graders to 6th graders. I should stop calling it a basketball program because really what it is is a basketball league. There are eleven teams total in this sportverien league all from German schools except for my team. There are 13 players on my team in total. My team has played 15 games so far and we have won 15 and lost 0. We are the top team in the league. There are 22 games in total in this league so we have 7 more games to go until the season is over. Do you think my team can finish the season without losing a game?
Me and my team in a team huddle.

Me (#6) and another Ethan (a boy on my team) getting ready for the quarter to start.


Me in my ISD warm up jacket

Ohh, I almost forgot there is also a travel tournament league my school competes in and its called NECIS (ne-sis). NECIS is a big tournament with six teams competing in it. All of the teams are from International schools. There are 3 small tournaments (which not all six teams compete in) to get you ready for the big NECIS tournament. What is interesting about these NECIS tournaments is that you go to places that are far (2 hours or more) and you stay at another persons house with someone from your team. You stay at the persons house for one night without your parents, the person that houses you (which is an adult) their kid is on the team that you play while your on your NECIS trip. My team has played the small tournaments so far so all that is left is the big tournament in March which is not that far away. In the big tournament in March they use brackets. Also in the big tournament in March instead of staying in someones house the whole team stays in a hotel for three nights. I hope my team wins! Oh by the way my team is called ISD Lions. So lets go Lions!

This is the doubledecker bus my team takes to get to our NECIS tournaments.

2 comments:

  1. GUTENTAG GANG,

    Hope you had a great birthday Griffin! Zoey and Suri sealed up the pkg. themselves. HEE HEE!!

    Sounds like quite the basketball "league" there Ethan! What an honor to be part of it. We're very proud of you. Are there lots of different leagues that play in the March tournament? Bet that will be fun! It's apparent the MI LIONS attachment doesn't bring you bad luck. Keep up the winning streak!

    I wish I was your Mom and exploring everyday. That sounds fun! I did that in London when I was on my own. It's fun to have a little trips and go exploring. Would always find the best coffee or pastry shops that way!

    Speaking of making everyone happy I should go check what OLD MOTHER HUBBARD has in kitchen to make everyone happy for dinner. HEE HEE!

    Hugs to all,
    Neale
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope I get to see a game when I come out. Love Grandma xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete