Wednesday, February 3, 2010

One Of My Favorite Days So Far

In mid November we had a long, great family day out. It started by going to another castle, Schloss Moyland in Bedburg-Hau, just about 1 hour away. The exterior of the castle and the grounds were gorgeous! It was built in the Middle Ages, altered and re-built multiple times from the 17th century to 1945, and finally restored in the 1980's. There was an extensive modern art museum inside with tons of sculpture and interesting pieces that held the interest of us all.


After that we drove to the Roman Archaeological Park in Xanten. This was such a cool, interesting place. An ancient Roman city was on this site and they've rebuilt different structures or parts of them exactly where they stood and exactly the same size. The amphitheatre/colosseum was especially cool.
Reconstruction of a temple
The boys battling in the arena

Then we went into the city of Xanten which was very quaint and lit up for Christmas. There was a working windmill in town that I couldn't pass by so I dragged everyone with me to see it - they were glad they did because we were able to go into the top of it and get a great view of the city. I was surprised that the arms were covered with canvas, like a boat's sail.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Colbert Family- I got your blog address from IXL! It is my Ms. Heather :) You can't imagine how great it is to hear of an amazing adventure your entire family is on. I would love to catch up, email me hlhewitt@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound's like an interesting place . I like the picture of the boy's battling. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete