Saturday, October 31, 2009

Jen's View of Paris Part 3

First of all, I need to say that French pastries live up to the hype - so yummy and buttery! We fit a lot into our last day in the city: Louvre Museum, walk around, Notre Dame, and boat tour. We started at the Louvre where we got there soon after opening to avoid lines and we made a beeline to the Mona Lisa. We got as close to it as is allowed - oftentimes you have to stand behind a crowd of people, but we were up close. After that we explored the Painting wing, the Egyptian area, and some of the Sculpture are, and we could have spent another day or two just in this museum, but we had our fill. It was overwhelming for me to see SO many of the great paintings in person that I'd studied in books - it's always surprising how different you feel when you see a great artwork in person versus in a book.





Outside the Louvre




Hall in the Louvre



Entering the Mona Lisa room, that's it across the room!




There she is!



In front of the Winged Victory of Samothrace - a Greek sculpture from around 190 BC!



Being silly imitating the sculptures!



Notre Dame was gorgeous, but we didn't go to the top to see the gargoyles because the line was too long, but that gives us something to do if we come back one day.



Outside of Notre Dame




The famous Rose Window in Notre Dame



We took a ride through the city on a Batoboat like this one.





From the boat, eyes painted on the river retaining walls



Views from the boat







This short stay in Paris was a great introduction for us, and just enough for the boys at their age. It really is an amazing and beautiful city and there's plenty for us to see if we come back one day, with or without the kids. The only thing that got to me was the language. I think after a couple of months of being immersed in the German language, and finally picking up little bits of it, to be back at ground zero again with a different language was very frustrating for me (though my frustration at ordering from the Disneyland resturant lady gave Scott a good laugh, so it wasn't all bad!).

2 comments:

  1. Wee Wee Colbert Family,

    Great prospective on the French. I, too, love(d) their bread/pastries...though I'm somewhat "European" by heritage so I'm permitted! I remember seeing the Mona Lisa. Somewhat jealous you guys got such a clear view. I think I put my camera in the air to get a picture over the crowd. She's rather homely looking isn't she? Though...when it came to my English studies or even mentions in films it makes a lot more sense having seen many famous pieces of art in person. Ethan and Griffin have a great advantage in their high school advanced placement classes I'm sure.

    The Louvre is a bit overwhelming. I think to go through it thoroughly someone said it takes 6 MONTHS! So...the 3 hours or half day I've done...hardly make a mark. Very sad! Disney is much more entertaining - right boys? :)

    Paris, I suppose, is a city that you take in pieces. The "educational" parts, the "entertaining parts." Sounds like you made great headway! I'd enjoy going up into Notre Dame Cathedral. I'm more acquainted with London than anything else but relish the fact that you are all there...exploring!

    Did you venture on the French subway? What did you eat that you had difficulty pronouncing? They are funny with their demeanor if you don't even try to say it in French.

    Fantastic costumes E & G! Hope you had a fun European Halloween.

    Keep up the great blogs and pictures!

    Hugs,
    Neale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neale,
    You're right about the city, there are so many "takes" on exploring it, and I think that will change as the boys get older, so hopefully we'll get back there near the end of our stay here and appreciate different aspects of it.

    No, we didn't make it to the subway, we drove & parked or walked everywhere. I think if we were there for a longer period we would use it, and when Griffin is older and has more walking stamina, because I've heard you have to walk great distances underground from the stops to the street exits.

    In terms of food and language, we were obvious American tourists - we didn't even try to learn any phrases or attempt to pronounce anything, we just pointed or spoke in English assuming they would understand. If we hadn't been grappling with the German language we probably would have made the effort, but our language minds are overwhelmed with our German words.

    Thanks for supporting our blog, we're glad you enjoy it! See you in Dec, Jen

    ReplyDelete